Follow Me!

Share this tutorial!

{tiny} Needle Case Tute

Relive The Past

Monday, January 21, 2008

Hello! I am Mel

I'm glad you've found my place in the neighborhood! I am a wife of 13 years, and mother to Urban who is 4. We live in Tooele, Utah which is about 40 min west of Salt Lake City. To keep my sanity I must create. I found this out when I gave up my hobbies after Urban was born in 2005. Major depression set in and I could not shake it. I found that when I create, I am happy. Now I feed the passion as I am able. I meet with 5 other friends once a month to basket weave: Cheryl, Kathy, Marianne, Geri, and Lori. We have loads of fun weaving, chatting, eating and singing! On the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays I go to our local quilt shop Sew Sweet http://www.sewsweetquilts.net/ Marta and I party, sew, rip, laugh, and quilt for several hours. I work at the shop on Thursdays and love it!! I love to read and even when I am sewing I listen to audio books. See my Safari Shelf to see my library. We have a small yard that's quite charming. I love to get out there and dig in the dirt and smell the wonderful scents of nature. My other hobby is playing cards with my sis-in-laws; Michelle, Lissa, Lori, Morgan and mother-in-law; Geri. My family and I love to go camping in our VW pop top camper van. One of our yearly trips is to the Teton's in Wyoming. We also love to go into the city (Salt Lake) and take advantage of the fun activities there. All three of us could spend hours at the Library which was the library of the year of 2007. Urban loves to ride Trax, play in the water at Gateway, go to the zoo, and attend many of the cultural festivals. We are happy. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * AWARDS Thanks Shari and Julia! See who I passed this award on to! Thanks Crazy Quilting for Fun See who I passed it on to! * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Interview My friend Tessa was interviewed and posted her answers on her blog. Then she asked if there was anyone that wanted to be interviewed by her and I said "Why not?"She asked me the following questions: 1. What is one of your goals for the new year? (2009) I would like to complete at least one table runner per month. I HAVE completed one for January and am working on a couple for February! (Pics as soon as I can get them downloaded!) 2. What is the best vacation you've ever been on? My hubby and I love to take road trips. I think my favorite was in 2001 when we toured Highway 1 down the west coast. We've done it twice, but the first time was the most fun because it was spontaneous. I do LOVE girl's weekends though and ALL of them have been way fun!! I can't say that any ONE was better than another as long as there is fabric, chocolate and Diet Coke there! 3. What was the last book you read, and what did you think of it? The last book I read (audio) was Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I really liked it. Loved the story, loved that the main character was a strong woman, loved the politics of it. I would not want to live in a world that was like the one in the novel, but it made one think, and think, and think. At times it was very redundant, but I would give it 4 stars out of 5. 4. When did you start sewing and how did you get interested in it? My first official sewing lesson was the summer after the 6th grade. I was enrolled in a 'sewing camp' for a couple of weeks. My next experience was in a 'home ec' class in high school. I can't remember what I did, but I didn't love it. I first learned to QUILT when I was about 16. A lady in my church taught the girls to sew a simple 9 patch wall hanging. I LOVED it!! No matching darts, pleats, or buttons. Just simple sewing and combining beautiful fabrics! I did about two more, but it wasn't until about 5 years later that I took quilting full on! I bought into a quilt shop and was as happy as a perfect 1/4 inch seam! QUILTING is my passion, not sewing - and those that quilt know what I'm talking about! ;) 5. What other crafts do you like to do besides sewing? I love to basket weave! I meet with 5 other ladies once a month to weave baskets. I love to decorate my surroundings with colors and textures that I love, inside and outside. I've done scrapbooking and like to do it, but get overwhelmed very quickly. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Eight random facts about me: 1. I was adopted when I was 3 days old. 2. I would like to be a funeral director / embalmer and have already taken one class in that field. 3. I owned a quilt shop for 5 years. 4. I have no desire what ever to go to Hawaii. 5. I actually love my mother-in-law and consider her one of my best friends. 6. Worked in a haunted house (forest) while in college. 7. I HATE to cook! 8. I don't like dogs - barking, drooling, barking, poop, barking, barking, barking. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Things I've Done Items in blue are things I have done 1. Started your own blog 2. Slept under the stars 3. Played in a band 4. Visited Hawaii 5. Watched a meteor shower 6. Given more than you can afford to charity 7. Been to Disneyland 8. Climbed a mountain 9. Held a praying mantis 10. Sang a solo 11. Bungee jumped 12. Visited Paris 13. Watched a lightning storm at sea 14. Taught yourself an art from scratch 15. Adopted a child (I was adopted, does that count for half?) 16. Had food poisoning 17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty 18. Grown your own vegetables 19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France 20. Slept on an overnight train 21. Had a pillow fight 22. Hitch hiked 23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill 24. Built a snow fort 25. Held a lamb 26. Gone skinny dipping 27. Run a Marathon 28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice 29. Seen a total eclipse 30. Watched a sunrise or sunset 31. Hit a home run 32. Been on a cruise 33. Seen Niagara Falls in person 34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors 35. Seen an Amish community 36. Taught yourself a new language 37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied 38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person 39. Gone rock climbing 40. Seen Michelangelo’s David 41. Sung karaoke 42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt 43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant 44. Visited Africa 45. Walked on a beach by moonlight 46. Been transported in an ambulance 47. Had your portrait painted 48. Gone deep sea fishing 49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person 50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris 51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling 52. Kissed in the rain 53. Played in the mud 54. Gone to a drive-in theater 55. Been in a movie 56. Visited the Great Wall of China 57. Started a business 58. Taken a martial arts class 59. Visited Russia 60. Served at a soup kitchen 61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies 62. Gone whale watching 63. Got flowers for no reason 64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma 65. Gone sky diving 66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp 67. Bounced a check 68. Flown in a helicopter 69. Saved a favorite childhood toy 70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial 71. Eaten Caviar 72. Pieced a quilt 73. Stood in Times Square 74. Toured the Everglades 75. Been fired from a job 76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London 77. Broken a bone 78. Been on a speeding motorcycle 79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person 80. Published a book 81. Visited the Vatican 82. Bought a brand new car 83. Walked in Jerusalem 84. Had your picture in the newspaper 85. Read the entire Bible 86. Visited the White House 87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating 88. Had chickenpox 89. Saved someone’s life 90. Sat on a jury 91. Met someone famous 92. Joined a book club 93. Lost a loved one 94. Had a baby 95. Seen the Alamo in person 96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake 97. Been involved in a law suit 98. Owned a cell phone 99. Been stung by a bee Thanks Kritta for the fun activity! * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Crazy 8's (Almost) Krista of Protect and Serve posted 'Crazy 8's" where there were 6 topics (shouldn't it have been 8?) and Krista listed 8 responses to each topic I thought is was fun reading about her and so I thought I would 'play' as well. But since I would probably spend days thinking of 8 replies for each topic, I cut them down a bit. I'll respond to the topics, but with less answers. Favorite TV Shows 1. Dexter 2. Cold Case 3. CSI Las Vegas 4. The Office 5. 30 Rock 6. Flight of the Conchords 7. 20/20, Dateline etc It's a good think I don't have cable or satellite! Favorite Restaurants 1. Texas Roadhouse 2. Pei Wei 3. Stocton Cafe 4. A yummy pizza place in Sandy (name??) Books I Recommend 1. A Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein 2. The Forsyte Saga Series by John Galsworthy 3. The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon 4. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand 5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 6. The Cat Who Series by Lilian Jackson Braun 7. Any by Beverly Lewis or Wanda Brunstetter's or Cindy Woodsmall(Amish fiction) Things That Happened Yesterday 1. Went to the quilt shop and sewed with my friends
2. Started another hexagon project (with smaller hexies) 3. Hung out with my hubby and son 4. Wrote a letter to my parents (who are on a mission) Things to look forward to 1. Nathan graduates with MBA this April, 2009 2. Moving!! (this summer, 2009) 3. Basket weaving (every 1st Friday of the month) 4. Working at the quilt shop (every Thursday of the month) 5. Sewing any day, every day! Things on my Wish list 1. Loose weight miraculously (of course I don't want to work for it!!) 2. Health and happiness for all in my family and friends
3. A maid and cook 4. A long arm quilting machine 5. A new sewing machine 6. A new car This list could probably go on and on . . .

1 comments:

Barbara Olivo Cagle said...

I just revisited your blog and was hoping you would please visit my blog too, and maybe share it with your friends. http://blog.barbaracagle.com Also, leave a comment on my Mother's Day Give-Away Post to have a chance to win my book.

Thanks,

Barbara owoh








Barbara Olivo Cagle
4575 Wanakiwin Dr.
Loon Lake, WA 99148
(509) 233-8051 HM
(509) 951-7300 CELL
barbara@barbaracagle.com
www.barbaracagle.com