Follow Me!

Share this tutorial!

{tiny} Needle Case Tute

Relive The Past

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Join me in reading a Banned Book!

I am planning to read Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson Banned Books I've Read (partial list) The Holy Bible (King James Version) The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald 1984 by George Orwell Lord of the Flies by William Golding James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (my dad read this to us as children!) The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (a favorite of mine) The Color Purple by Alice Walker Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee Brave New World by Aldous Huxley Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (just finished it!) Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (are you serious?) Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein (another favorite of mine)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who in the world is banning books like Bridge to Terabithia and James and the Giant Peach? Or even Anne Frank's diary? Very appropriate for the right grade levels.

The thing about Bridge is that there's more than one bridge in the story. I used to do it with my 5th graders as a novel study. Most of them saw the bridge that was built that had nothing to do with the physical one in the story. =) I love that book!

And Little House on the Prairie????

I've read everything on your list except The Color Purple and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (but I saw that movie). As long as the Bible is on the list, the rest are in good company. =)

Keiauni said...

Are you KIDDING me?

I have read all those books, except the one by Chaucer...(guess I better read it!) and I am stunned!

Bridge to TERabithia was my favorite book when I was in Elementary school! I LOVE it, and thinking about it makes me want to cry!

Holy Cow... Let's keep these books around for our kids.
Are we so concerned about special interests, that we are afraid to remember what this country is all about in the 1st place?