Follow Me!

Share this tutorial!

{tiny} Needle Case Tute

Relive The Past

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Adding some WONK to the * * OP * *!!


Finished quilt using OP blocks with my wonky technique.
Quilt for my nephew Collin.


To see a close up of the quilting, click here.

Thanks for the kind comments on my OP block!

This year my mantra is :

"Try something new,
do something differently,
enhance what I have."

So that's what I did to this fun and easy block by Pat!


Here is how I do it:


Is this making sense? I hope so!!



Are you going through measurement withdrawls?


Need a break??
Go grab some CHOCOLATE then get back to it!

Almost done!!


Well, what do you think of yourself? Fun block right?
Again, thanks to Pat Sloan for the basis of the block!




Click here to see how I quilted it!


OH, and while on the subject of ORANGE, my favorite orange food has got to be my mother's Peach Cobbler!! I'll even share the recipe!
Peach Cobbler

1 quart peaches with juice (my mom bottles her own peaches)

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

3 Tablespoon of cornstarch

Combine in large sauce pan.

Cook, stirring constantly until it thickens.

Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, double recipe for a 9X13 pan.

Topping:

1 cup flour

1 Tablespoon sugar

1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 Tablespoon shortening

1/2 cup milk Mix dry ingredients.

Cut in shortening.

Add milk and mix well.

Drop spoonfuls dough on top.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until brown.

Extra yummy with real vanilla ice cream!



17 comments:

Pat said...

VERY interesting...not at all how I thought you had constructed these blocks. I thought you made the first part and then where Pat has us cut it into 4th's (5 1/2 inches each section), you just put a couple of the blocks on top of each other and did a stack & whack thing with them in a "unique" way....not aiming for squares....and then mixed and matched them to put them back together before you put the sashing strips on them. (I guess that sounds confusing, huh?) Anyway......I love what you did with the blocks. Thanks for showing how you did it.

Betty J in OKC said...

I'm not into *wonky*, but I just *HAD* to copy your Mom's peach cobbler recipe. My Mom's almost 80 & has dementia so she can't tell me how she made hers. Mom's beyond talking and into babbling and one word sentences now. TY for the recipe!!

Shari said...

These blocks are fantastic - and what a great tutorial!!! You look so professional now!!! Perfect for a baby boy.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the wonky OP block tutorial. It looks really easy to follow and this is definitely going in my "to do" pile.

Lurline said...

I'm really into wonky as you can see - have popped your tutorial on file, thanks - just lovely and I'm sure it will be easy to follow.I'm having lots of fun with colour at the moment - shame it will have to pass and we sometimes must do precision quilting!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Kwiltsfl said...

I LOVE your wonky blocks - the baby boy is one lucky guy! I'll have to copy the pack cobbler recipe - DH will be so glad! Thanks
Karen

Carla said...

Just love them. Thank you so much for the tut! I also thought you were going to stack and whack.

Browndirtcottage said...

Just still loving this block...you
look like you have been tutorials
all your life...very good!!

Kritta22 said...

Oh my! I go scared when you sewed them together, a little off kilter! My brain went, ohh that's not right! It turned out wonderful!! I may have to just try it. What are your fabric sizes to start with?

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

I love your block tutorial and the peach cobble is a must try!!! Looks so yummy.
Thanks for all your work,
~Karen~

Anonymous said...

Your tutorial is fantastic for your wonky OP blocks!! Looks like you are a pro at tutorials! I am putting this wonky version on my "to do list" for sure. Your Mom's peach cobbler looks so yummy! Thanks again!

Amy R said...

Mel, thanks so much for the tutorial! I just love these blocks. They've got spunk! and, my hubby will really appreaciate the Peach cobbler recipe! thanks so much for taking the time to do this! amy r in south lyon

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Outstanding tutorial!!! It is way "out of my box" but I think I am going to have to give it a try. thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how cool! I saw several of the "regular" blocks today and this is just as cute a version as can be!

I sent the peach recipe to my son and my husband. One of them is bound to fix it for me. =)

Millie said...

Oh, those are awesome! I love them. Thanks for sharing!

Nanette Merrill said...

Well this is cute. I love it. This block style is so popular. It is a great approach.

SandyQuilts said...

I can't wait to try this idea. thanks.