Follow Me!

Share this tutorial!

{tiny} Needle Case Tute

Relive The Past

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Small Needle Case Tutorial




I wanted a needle case that was small so it could fit into my hexagon storage thingy. Since Robyn has got me hexing - no, that's not texting inappropriate messages - I thought I'd go with that shape for this project.


I love the small size and thought I'd share how I made mine just in case you find yourself needing a case for just a couple of needles!



You will need:
  • Four 1" hexagons cut from fabric
     for a real good way to prep your hexies, 
    see this tute from Karen
  • Piece of Wool - 3" x 3" 
  • Tiny piece of stabilizer - really, no bigger than 1/2" sq (thins could even be a couple extra layers of fabric, a piece of batting or a piece of wool.)
  • Template Plastic - 3" x 6"
  • Button with a shaft (see pic below)
  • Elastic Cording - 2"
  • Needle
  • Scissors
  • Thread



For this project, buttons with shafts will provide the closure for our needle case.  The elastic cording will fit around the height of the shaft, keeping the front and back cover to stay together.


Cut:

From wool:
  Cut a piece 1" x 3/4" this will be your 'joining' piece.
  Fold remainder of wool in half.
  With one of the six sides
on the fold, trace your hexagon onto one side and cut out.  This is where you will keep your needles or pins.
  I cut my wool shape 1/4" smaller all around, with pinking sheers.



NOTE: Some wool pieces are fluffier than others. I wish I would have considered this as my insert turned out thicker than I had wanted.





From template plastic:
  Cut two hexagons from the template plastic, but make them 1/4" smaller than your fabric pieces. I just cut 1/8" from all six sides.





Now measure and mark 3/8" from just one side and cut.  This will make allowance for the joint piece to butt up against so there isn't too much bulk.





Choose which fabric will be the front of your case and sew a button 1/8" to 1/4" from the edge. 


Put the small amount of stabilizer behind your button (on the wrong side of the fabric) to add some, well, stability to the stress your button will receive by being the closure of your case.





Which pieces will make up the back cover?  Make a loop with your elastic cord and sew it between these two pieces.





Insert the wool piece that will join the front and back cover by butting it up against the template plastic.





To join the front and back covers of your case, whip stitch two hexies together for each cover.  Use a clip to keep the plastic piece and joint piece in place as you sew.


Now stitch your wool piece to the wool joint from the inside.  I used a very simple stitch with embroidery floss. 





Fill your needle case with needles and you're ready to sew and go!







This is the perfect size for what I'm doing!





Now I need to figure out how to fit a can of Diet Coke in here!









Variations:
You could use wool for your 'cover' hexies instead of cotton fabric
You could use Velcro or a snap instead of a button for a closure
If you don't have plastic, you could use cardboard from a cereal box
Instead of whip stitching to join two hexagons, you could use a blanket stitch




10 comments:

RG said...

Woooohoooo, thankyou Mel... what a little beaut!!! (Aussie for great mate!)
This is fabulous and we all know we need different needlecases for different occasions!
I love this!! Perfect for hexing....love your description of what it isn't *snicker*

Thanks for making this tute and for sharing!! Just love ya!!!
hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial Mel thanks! I don't think I've ever made anything hexagon. Looks like you're getting spam comments...don't you hate that! :-(

Pat said...

That is a really CUTE needle case...thanks for the great tutorial.

Needled Mom said...

Soo cute. I love it. Thanks for posting a tutorial on it.

Nedra said...

I think the way you put the post together is as interesting as the tutorial. Great job!
Oops, better delete that spam comment, and get the blocker back up.

Kim D. said...

Very Clever idea, I have some of those little round plastic containers for my beads.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so cute! I love how tiny it is. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Dawn said...

Love it Mel!! Thanks for sharing.

zelda said...

That is so awesome--I love making "smalls"! And I *love* your fabric :-).

Jen said...

That's brilliant. I can't wait to make one.