Follow Me!

Share this tutorial!

{tiny} Needle Case Tute

Relive The Past

Monday, May 4, 2009

Owl Tutorial

4" X 4 1/2" X 2"
This darling little feathered buddy is easy to make!
Create a flock and share them with your friends!
Right click on template photo.
Select save picture.
When you print the templates, enlarge 200% for accurate size.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Cut one owl body shape from each of your two co-ordinating fabrics Use the same fabric for the owl's front head peak from the same fabric you used for your owl's back. Cut circles from wool that compliment your other two fabrics for the base of the owl's eyes. Cut a beak from a yellow piece of wool. If you don't have wool for these steps, cotton fabric will work just as well
Pin or apply a light glue to set the peak to the top of the front owl piece and secure with a stitch of your choice. I used a simple zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine.
To add the eyes, center a button on a wool circle and sew into place.
Sew that unit to the owl's face near the forehead peak. Repeat for the second eye.
Position the beak between the eyes and down a bit. Secure with a stitch of your choice.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Fold the bottom piece in half, point to point. Finger pinch at the fold.
Fold the owl's body in half lengthwise and finger pinch just at the bottom at the fold.
Lining up your pinched marks, pin half of the owl's bottom piece, right sides together, to the bottom of the owl front piece. Begin sewing the pieces together 1/4" in from the points and stop sewing 1/4" from the end. Back stitch in both places to keep stitching secure.
Fold the owl's back piece in half and pinch at the bottom. As before, pin the other side of the owl's bottom to the owl's back piece beginning and ending 1/4" from edges.
Match up your owl's front and back pieces, right sides together. The owl's bottom piece should be pulled away from the body so it doesn't get caught up in your stitching.
Begin sewing right where the owl's bottom piece joins the owl's body pieces. Back stitch as you begin and end your sewing.
Stop sewing just under the ear area with a back stitch on one of the owl's sides.
Leave an opening to turn your owl right-side-out. This is also where you will insert your stuffing.
On the opposite side of the owl, begin sewing with a back stitch where your owl's bottom piece joins the owl's body pieces as before.
Stop sewing using a back stitch at about an 1 1/2" or so of where you plan to leave an opening for turning and stuffing. Turn your owl right-side-out and insert your weighty item into the bottom area of the owl.
Fill the rest of your owl with stuffing and close up your insertion area by hand with an invisible whip stitch.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
To make the owl's wings, layer one fabric right side facing down, batting in the middle and the coordinating fabric facing up.

Trace two wing shapes on the fabric that is on top, facing up, with a wash away marking pen.


Using your machine and a simple straight stitch, sew just inside your drawn line about 1/8" from the raw edges following the outline of the wings.

Cut out the two sewn wing units. You are ready to stitch them on the owl.

Position each wing on the sides of the owl's body.
Using the numbers as a guide, sew wings on following these steps:
Bring needle up at 1
Take thread over and insert in 2
Take thread under, then up at 3
Take thread over and insert at 4
Repeat this process at least twice for each wing.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
You now have a new oWLiE friend!
Enjoy and share!
If you like this project, post a link on your blog or send a link to your friends!
Update May 5, 2009
Robin at Robin Hearts Quilts made one!! Don't you love her color selection??


Courtney from The Paisley Abby made a darling family of owls!!

36 comments:

Pat said...

This is very cute...thanks for taking the time to do the tutorial. It is on my "someday" list and if and when I get it done, I'll send you a photo of it!

Carla said...

Darling Mel! Thank you!

Shari said...

This is a great tutorial. Thank you so much!! I'm so impressed with the professional look of it!

Browndirtcottage said...

Cute..Cute...you 'dun' good on the tutorial!! Thanks soo much!!

Sherri said...

What a cute owl...I've been wanting to make one! And thanks so much for the tutorial!!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

What a great tutorial. I bet that took forever to make ;the picture were wonderful, love it, thank you!!

West Michigan Quilter said...

What a great tutorial. The owl is so cute. I'll probably link to you on my next blog. Don't want my readers to miss this!

Carrie P. said...

Too cute. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

dotti white said...

Thanks so much for the owl tutorial! I definitely am putting that on my summer "to-sew" list! Have a great week!

Simone de Klerk said...

Such a lovely owl, such a great tutorial! Thank you!

Eileen said...

What a nice tutorial.. very professional looking. I know how hard it is to make a good one. Your photos and instructions are all so very clear. Such a CUTE owl!

Nanette Merrill said...

What an incredible tutorial. My daughter loves owls. I've got to get her to make this. Thanks Mel.

Dawn said...

Thanks for the great tutorial!! The owl is darling!!

Robin said...

Too cute! Thank you so much for sharing a tutorial for it. Methinks I need an owl.

Anonymous said...

Perfect tutorial...can't wait to see all the owls pop up in blogland!!

Khris said...

Thanks for a cute owl freebie...I have put a link up on my freebie blog and hope thats okay...hugs Khris

Anne said...

So cute!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-owl-softie/2009/07/12/
--Anne

Bethany said...

Great tutorial and great blog!! Found you through Craft Gossip. I'm going to add a link to this on my list of owl projects at the end of this post (if that's okay): http://awednesdayafternoon.blogspot.com/2009/06/owl-gift-plus-links-for-other-owl.html

Sono-Ma: Holly White-Wolfe said...

What gorgeous step by step instructions for creating this adorable owl! I just posted a "how to" make a felt book in my blog posting: http://sono-ma.blogspot.com/2009/07/handmade-from-heart-easier-on-budget.html

I'm so inspired by the way you laid out your instructions, I may want to go back and improve mine!

I can't wait to try out your project. It is right in line with my belief that the best gifts are from the heart and made from repurposed items!

Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Thankyou for this great pattern!

Crazypatch said...

Thanks for a cute owl freebie...I have put a link up on my blog and hope thats okay

Karen said...

Love the cute pattern! I will definitely link it next time I post. Got it saved. Thanks.

Laura said...

Ciao

grazie coloratissimo

Laura

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Deborah said...

Your owl is cute and easy to do. I've put a link to your tutorial in my blog. Thank you for sharing your ideas with us. Visit my blog if you want.
http://mundodosbonecos.blogspot.com

laurie said...

thanks for this! it was my first sewing project, which i blogged about (and linked to you) on my blog.

luluvillage said...

Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Such a cutie pie.. Thanks for sharing..

Stitchinwitch said...

So cute. I plan on making her soon

♥ Carine Calé ♥ said...

Dear Mel,

Thank you very much, your tutorial is amazing and so sweet, congratulations and all the best!!!

Carine

The Paisley Abbey said...

I made these for my girls and posted pictures and a link to your tutorial. (http://www.thepaisleyabbey.com/2010/07/wonkey-owls-my-first-clutch-purse-and.html) I hope you don't mind! They turned out great! Thank you for the easy to follow steps!
:)
Courtney
ThePaisleyAbbey.com

Franstals said...

Спасибо! Мне очень понравилось! )

Anonymous said...

went to your blog, and I fell in love, very beautiful!

Anonymous said...

High Five Mel! :D

Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Plenty of useful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you on your sweat!
Bialetti Class Stovetop Espresso Maker 6 Cup 06854

Pip said...

I know I'm a few years late, but I stumbled across this tutorial last week and fell in love with it! The next day I made 6 owls of different sizes out of coordinating flannelette fabrics to give as a gift to a friend who is 6 months pregnant. Thankyou!