Follow Me!

Share this tutorial!

{tiny} Needle Case Tute

Relive The Past

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Home Show

Well, it's not THAT kind of a home show, it's a tour of our VW bus!
"You bought WHAT??" - Mel 2006
Nathan purchased this 1984 VW Pop-top Camper for $500 January 2006.  I wasn't thrilled, but he needed a hobby and was excited to fix it up.  Six short months later, the Lawrence family playhouse on wheels was ready to hit the road! 
Nathan stripped the interior to it's metal frame. Patched the body a bit. Then put it back together. All of the cabinets and back area seating and curtains are original.  I hope to reupholster the seats and make new curtains soon.  
We installed a wood laminate flooring instead of carpet so we could keep it clean.  It's so easy, just a few wipes with a Lysol wet wipe and the whole 'house' is fresh!
Nathan purchased used leather mini-van chairs from the driver and passenger seats, very comfy!  The passenger seat swivels when we are parked so we have a sitting chair.
After sanding the exterior body and a new "Diet Coke red" paint job, it looked better than new!  It's hard to miss us and we get a lot of fun looks as we drive along.
Come on in, no need to take your shoes off!
I can't stress the word mini enough when it comes to the fridge!
I'm missing one other smaller cupboard to the left of the fridge.  
It holds one pot and a frying pan.
We are able to fit all our bedding in this tiny closed except for the mattress roll that I use in the pop-up area.
Nathan and Urban sleep on the fold out area on the bottom.  I sleep all by myself up in the pop-out tent part where it is cooler!
Notice the very nutritious meal Urban is enjoying!
Dishes, and food items are stored above the sitting/sleeping area.  
What isn't visible here is that the back of the van (where their heads are) is open to let in fresh air.  There is a 'screen' that snaps into place to keep out the bugs.
I love having my own area to sleep in!  I usually read or draw before bed for a while,  sometimes too long!  It's really quite comfy up there, it is usually cooler which is good for me!
These are just some miscellaneous pictures, kinda silly.
This is probably one of the most useful aspects of our bus.  The head liner above the driver and passenger seat is a white board.  It's very handy when we need to jot down a shopping list or a favorite camp spot, or items that need fixing on the bus. 
* * * * * * * * *
We've had many great road trips so far and can't wait for all the adventures that lay ahead!  

18 comments:

Annette said...

I love it!! What a great project. It turned out so nice and very efficient. Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Mel's Own place has a new meaning with that beautiful new camper! Hubby and you did an awesome job. Now can I come along?

Betsy said...

Wow, you all have done a great job on your camper. My family is on the lookout for a popup pull behind camper so we can do some camping sometime soon. Hope you all have lots of fun.
Betsy

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

OK, that is too fun. Boy did he do a good job, that was $500 well spent. thank you for the tour, it has all that you would need. It looks as if you are having a great time, I would also love to be upstairs all by myself! Enjoy, love all the pictures!!

Puppy Love said...

That is a totally awesome job you did!! Grats!

Stacey said...

That is excellent! What a great way for you and your family to make lots of memories!

Would you be eilling to reveal the cost of the make over? I am sooo curious. :) Thanks for sharing.

Jennie said...

This looks like SOOO much fun!

zelda said...

OMGsh! So much fun! That looks like such a great time!

Carrie P. said...

Wow that is totally awesome. He did a great job. We went camping a lot when our kids were little and we have the best memories. Have fun!

Keiauni said...

It's so fun to peek into your life:) I can't believe all the changes you are facing! Hang on tight for the ride! I heard about your yard sale thru the grapevine.
(my friend Brigid went and SCORED!)

That camper is. so. RED. (AWESOME!)

Micki said...

I love your new camper. I am sure that you will have a blast in it.
Micki

Trisha said...

What a great rags to riches van story! I love seeing the before and after pics. What a treasure it is now! How fun to have it to enjoy your vacations together.

Dawn said...

Cool!!

Nanette Merrill said...

How wonderful. It looks great. What a good job he did resoring this. I'm very impressed. We used to have a trailer but after years of camping with a grumpy mr. hive I found out he hated it so we sold it. I miss it!

dotti white said...

Mel--what a wonderful re-do of that classic VW! I am very impressed! It looks like you are having so much fun! Thanks for sharing the pix.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a fun photo diary of the transformation of the VW. Love it.

Carla said...

I saw this button and had to zip over to this post! WOW! My son wants to do this someday, and really enjoyed your post! I love the whiteboard idea. I had no clue the popup was also more sleeping areas:) Cool!

Janet W. said...

We had a VW camper when I was a kid back in the 1970's and we loved it. We had it for 3 years in Germany and traveled all over Europe with it. I have the best memories. I also slept in the pop-top area. My parents where in the back and my brother slept in a sling/cot over the front two seats - it came with the camper. Your husband did an awesome job.