Follow Me!

Share this tutorial!

{tiny} Needle Case Tute

Relive The Past

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Headed East on SR 50

Thanks for the fun and complimentary comments you've left regarding our VW re-do and the road trip!
One comment was to show the detail of the fun vinyl kitchen chair set I found at an antique shop in Scipio.  Good idea; here you go!
Don't ya love it!
Another commenter asked how much the re-do was.  Umm, I haven't asked hubby because I didn't want to know; but I think enough time has passed that I can probably handle it! . . . OK, he thinks it's around $7,000.  Not too bad I guess, considering how much use we've got out of it!
* * * * * * * * *
Backing up just a bit, before we arrived in Goblin Valley.

Travel Day 3

Headed towards: Goblin Valley State Park, Utah - East on SR50

On the iPod: Shuffle, everything from Beastie Boys to Aretha Franklin and a little bit of The Book Thief (audiobook).  GREAT book by the way!

Snack: Doritos

Road Game: Balance stuff on your head and Close your eyes . . . Surprise!

Both of these games just 'happened' but they turned out to be good ones!

Balance stuff on your head:  Urban was getting restless and we still had some driving to do so I said "What can you balance on your head?"  Harder than you think while driving.  

He tried balancing a small head pillow and I was quite successful driving with a cell phone on my head.  Not as dangerous as texting and it occupied and calmed Urban for a while.

I thought this might work well to keep fighting/arguing siblings under control at least for a bit!

Close your eyes . . . Surprise!:  This one Urban kinda started.  In between points of interest we would tell Urban what we were going to see.  Nathan had told Urban about how cool the rock formations were in Goblin Valley and that when he (Nathan) was a boy, he would climb all over them.  

Catching the enthusiasm, Urban said "I'm going to close my eyes and when we get there it will be a surprise!"  We still had a ways to go, but Urban would close his eyes for a minute or two, then Nathan would yell SURPRISE!  Urban would open his eyes and look around and either say "Wow!" or "You're just teasing!"

Potty Stop: Rest area along SR 50

Native Americans line the sidewalks with their beautiful silver and turquoise necklaces, earrings, rings, dream catchers, pottery and even some handmade archery items.  There were at least 4 different vendors at this particular rest area.

Nathan and Urban explored nature at this stop while I captured them in pictures.  It is as dry and hot as it appears.

I think the landscape is beautiful and I've seen it a million times.  It's amazing the formations that are naturally made.  Man can't begin to come close to replicating its grander.

Stopped for the night at:  Found a beautiful spot for free on BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land. I don't have the picture downloaded yet, so that will have to wait for tomorrow.

* * * * * * * * * *

Whew! No campfire tonight, let's just make some peanut butter and honey sandwiches before we go to bed! 'Night!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you make it to Goblin Valley State Park yet?
Deanie

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Mel,
Love your pictures...looks like you're having a wonderful time and in the best VW. Can't wait to see more.
~Karen~

Trisha said...

I loved the Book Thief! Wonderful book!

Fun to come along on your trip with you. Beautiful scenic pics.

Sherri said...

I love your travelogue...while I've traveled a lot on 89...don't think I've been east on the 50...so it's new scenery for me!

dotti white said...

I love your pix--much different than the scenery here in the northwest but beautiful. The best part is that you seem to be having a great time!

Eileen said...

I'm just tuning in.. what a neat thing to find on your blog this week. FUN!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh my gosh it looks like you are having a blast!!!