Follow Me!

Share this tutorial!

{tiny} Needle Case Tute

Relive The Past

Monday, April 5, 2010

Sandra Dallas

Be Aware, Be Thankful
1. Soap and water to clean
2. Fresh air
3. Denise - a new friend that went to the book signing with me
* * *

Tonight I went to Sandra Dallas' book reading and signing at The Tattered Cover, an independent book store here in Denver.  I was so excited as this was my first in person author meet.  I love that I'm so close to great/fun events being here in Colorado!


Mrs. Dallas was very entertaining as she discussed and read from her book Whiter Than Snow.  She was quick and witty when answering the many audience questions.  


One comment that was posed to Mrs. Dallas was "There seems to be a lot of sewing or stitching in your previous books . . ."


To which the author commented that "Back in the day characters smoked and a writer could write about the 'smoke billowing' or 'removing a piece of tobacco from her lip . . .' or the paraphernalia involved with smoking such as the 'intricate embossed lighter' or 'cigarette holder'.  In this day, smoking is frowned upon. So they (Mrs. Dallas' characters) sew!"


The first book I read by Sandra Dallas was The Persian Pickle Club.  A quilting friend of mine suggested or gave it to me.  It was a fun, light read.


I forgot my camera, but here is a pic of the inscription she wrote in my book.




I had told her I was new to Colorado and was enjoying all the opportunities it afforded.  Mrs. Dallas is from Colorado, so her welcome was taken to heart.


OH, and she even knows where Tooele is!! 

10 comments:

sharon said...

How exciting for you Mel! The Persian pickle was a fun little book { thanks to your give away--I finally read it} I will have to check out her new book. You got me though where the devil is Toole? Sharonj.

sharon said...

Sorry typo on my comment--I meant Tooele. Pardon Sharonj.

Nedra said...

Persian Pickle Club was my first Sandra Dallas book also. I met her once at Road To California and she was so gracious. How fun to go to one of her book signings.

Annette said...

I've been to that bookstore and I loved it! What a fun experience for you to meet Sandra Dallas. I've read a couple of her books. She is very talented.

Denise :) said...

What fun for you! I've never read any of her books; this seems like a good time to pick one up. Thanks! :)

Sherri said...

I've read several of her books...the ones that mention quilting...Persian Pickle Club was the first I read. How fun to go to her lecture/book signing. Does her new book have quilting in it?

Trisha said...

I got to meet her with my sister in Sisters, Oregon when we went years ago to the outdoor quilt show. She and Jennifer Chiaverini were there back to back. We had come to meet Jennifer and got to see Sandra too. It is so surreal to meet well known people in person. So fun!!

Elizabeth said...

I love the Persian Pickle Club and also Tallgrass. I didn't know she had a new one out. I may have to see if I can track it down.... today. I've been wondering if she has some experience with adoption too since it is mentioned a number of times in different books.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I received my package from you today. thank you for the bonus pattern. I love it.
My daughter went to a book signing for me with 2 copies and had them signed for us by "Pioneer Woman" if she comes to your town, ya gotta go!

Thanks for the package.

Valentina said...

Sounds like you had a fun outing! And I had to laugh with the sewing reference! Thanks for the tip, Mel!
I am happy you are starting to feel more at home in Colorado, and sending your handsome fellow to school is certainly a sign of the good things to come your way!
xox
Valentina