Follow Me!

Share this tutorial!

{tiny} Needle Case Tute

Relive The Past

Sunday, March 15, 2009

For My Nephew Brock

OK, I have something that I feel is very important that I would like to chat with you about. If you are busy right now, please find about 5 minutes when you can come back to this post to read about my darling nephew Brock. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I'm trying to keep the info brief, but there just is so much to tell so here's the deal.
If you read this entire post (honor system!) and leave a comment on this post you will be entered into a drawing for one of three giveaways!
Thanks to Sew Sweet for donating a $15 store credit as one of the prizes Want more chances to win?
For 3 more entries Post a link on YOUR blog (take a button) that links back to THIS post.

AND/OR

For 5 more entries Privately email me your name and address so I can send (snail mail) you a pamphlet about Autism AND a FREE pattern for a table runner.
I will choose 3 winners on April 1st at 12:01am
* * CLOSED * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BROCK My seven year old nephew, Brock is Autistic. It is a delight to watch Brock as he simply enjoys life. I am very grateful for Brock, he has taught me personally to enjoy life at it's very basic level. To find joy in simple things, and be more aware of other's needs. I'm so grateful Brock is in our family to help teach my son Urban that there are people, like Brock, on this earth who are on Heavenly Father's special mission to teach us of our Father's compassion and basic love. Growing up with Brock, I hope Urban can love and accept all abilities. Brock has the most amazing parents. They are so loving, patient and invested in giving Brock and his brothers the all the opportunities needed for a happy life. Brock's twin brother, Brady is Brock's protector and probably Brock's best advocate. He knows Brock is different, but so is each member of his family and friends, just in different ways. Logan, Brock's younger brother doesn't notice that Brock is Autistic yet, he just sees him as an older brother to emulate. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * AUTISM When Brock was 2 and 1/2 years old he was diagnosed with autism. Autism is a complex brain disorder that inhibits a person’s ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by extreme behavioral challenges. Autism spectrum disorders are diagnosed in one in 150 children in the United States, affecting four times as many boys as girls. The prevalence of autism has increased tenfold in the last decade. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called autism a national public health crisis whose cause and cure remain unknown.
Did you know that in America 42 states, including Utah, do not require that insurance companies cover medication, therapy, and other treatment options for autism?
Background on WAAD On December 18, 2007 the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution 62/139 declaring World Autism Awareness Day (WAAD) to be celebrated April 2, 2008 (and every year there after). This UN Resolution is one of few official disease or disorder-specific United Nations Days and will bring the world’s attention to autism, a pervasive disorder that affects tens of millions. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
So, what am I going to do to help pass on and raise awareness for Autism?

On April 2nd I will have a few posts about Autism.

For each post, there will be a giveaway for reading the info.

There will be a post where handmade items made by me, my friends and my family members will be listed for sale. 100% of the proceeds will be donated for the reasearch of Autism. (less shipping in some cases)

Now here's several ways YOU can aid the research for Autism!

Donate an item(s) for my fundraiser Buy the items that have been generously donated Read more about Autism Donate to the Walk Now for Autism

Donate to my team for Walk Now for Autism 2009 Click to go to Walk Now for Autism donation page Walk takes place May 2, 2009 at the University of Utah Valley

EVERYONE who donates at least $10 to my team will receive one of my fabric bookmarks!
(donation must be received by April 24th to qualify)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thanks so much for reading the whole post!!

This is a special cause to me. Donations are welcomed throughout the year, but I will do a special event, such as this, on my blog just once a year.
Very sincerely,
Congratulations to Sherri, Melissa (Brock's mom!!) and Nanette! You are the winners of the giveaway for this post.

24 comments:

Pat said...

During my teaching career, I had some special needs assignments and worked with some autistic children. Now, the young girl across the street from me works at a special school for autistic children here in southern Delaware. I admire how you are working hard on behalf of Brock and the many others who have been diagnosed with autism. Awareness is key and I didn't realize that there are some states that don't require treatments, meds, etc. to be covered by health insurance. That seems so wrong...and I hope increasing awareness can lead to required coverage in all 50 states.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Mel, Email me so I can donate to your team.

Nancy said...

What a wonderful tribute to your nephew Brock. I have a cousin that also has Autism...but was unaware that there was a designated Autism Day.
I would be happy to donate a handmade key fob if you can contact me at quilt(at)centurytel(dot)net
Nancy

Trisha said...

What a wonderful post. I love when we can use our blogs for good! I am going to try to make something for your fundraiser! Thank you for tell us all about Brock!

Anna said...

My 27 year old daughter has autism. I am so thankful that it is getting more press lately.Hopefully more research soon. One thing Sarah taught her siblings is compassion.I will link to you on my blog.Thanks for posting this.

Carla said...

Mel, email me also. I could make a small doll if you are interested.

Kate/Massachusetts said...

Thanks for the post! Public education and awareness are so very important.

Sherri said...

Wow...I had no idea that insurance companies weren't required to cover autism treatment. This was super informative...thanks!

Amy said...

It is so nice of you to do this.

annemarie said...

This is so interesting and what you are doing is absolutely wonderful. I have worked with autistic children and know how challenging yet rewarding is can be. Hats off to you!!

Theresa N. said...

Hopefully someday the government will get smart and realize they've let the health insurance companys pick and choose who they'll cover for to long. Everyone should be able to get health insurance not just the healthy people and it should be the same price for everyone.
Theresa N
weceno(at)yahoo(dot)com

Kerry said...

Hi Mel,
I have a niece with autism and know how hard it is to learn to live with for both the child and the parents and also everyone else. My sister had such a struggle to even find an initial diagnosis, so what you and your family are doing is wonderful. I have copied the button and will post it when I next post. Will be following your venture.

Michele said...

Thank you for sharing your amazing nephew and his story. I hope many many people see this post (or one like it) and are educated on Autism.

Anonymous said...

Mel,
Our family has also been touched by Autism,our nephew,Reuben has touched so many. Thank you for all that you are doing to raise awareness about Autism. Insurance companies need to help rather than turn away families with unbelievable hurdles ahead of them.
Hugs, Barb

Micki said...

You are very inspiring and it is very generous what you are doing. I used to teach and worked with autistic kids, so I do know what a challenge they are. Brock is so lucky to have you.
Micki

Carrie P. said...

I did not know that insurance does not cover this. I had not heard the national awareness day either. Thank you for sharing.

Kaaren said...

Hi Mel,

I would like to donate something that I've painted. If this is okay, please email me so we can set this up.

Although autism has not touched out family, we have unfortunately too many friends and acquaintances where it has. My thoughts and prayers are with your nephew Brock.

Melissa said...

Mel-
Reading that made me all teary eyed. All my children are lucky to have you as an aunt, especially Brock. Brock was dancing to music at school and pulled another girl up to dance with him. She danced with him and they even made eye contact for a little bit. Wow, he has come so far!!! Words cannot express my gratitude for what you're doing. THANKS

Nanette Merrill said...

What a lovely from the heart post. We can always make a difference.

Tina said...

Thank you Mel for the information. Maybe with more awareness insurance companies will be forced to do what is right.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Mel,
I'm a little late leaving this post, but I would love to make something for you. My 2 daughters and I babysit for a boy with a form of autism and we know another family as well. My husband is a teacher in our town and just had a workshop on autism yesterday. If you could send me your information, I can get something out to you.
Thanks for all you do and again, sorry this is late,
~Karen~

Kathy said...

What a wonderful Aunt your little Brock has. THis is a great thing you are doing by educating about Autism.

free indeed said...

Wonderful to post this for awareness. So many are clueless. Autism has not touched our family yet, but there seems to be such a high incidence of autism out there now that it's probable it will come our way. THanks for sharing.

Baba Nann said...

Count me in...I would like to donate something for April 1. Email me the details.